Best Inyanga in Gauteng, Inyangas are healers who make medicines from herbs, roots, and bark. Ground-up rocks, animal horns, and bones can also be used in the making of their medicine. A medicine person that mostly heals physical ailments, but …
- Isangomas are spiritual healers and are often women. They are people who diagnose illness.
- People often visit the sangoma in family groups but sometimes they go alone. The reason for this is that the sangoma does not see people as individuals but rather sees them as part of a community.
- People’s sickness is often related to their relationships with other people. People can also become sick because they are having problems at home or work. This is the reason why sangomas look at the environment that people live and work in to find reasons for their illness.
- Sangomas also look at social factors that could make someone ill, as well as the physical symptoms. This way of looking at illness referred to is called holistic. When sangomas diagnose illness, they listen to their ancestors. When sangomas are listening to their ancestors, they may put on special clothes and beads.
- They may use dancing, singing, and drumming during a healing ritual. The ancestors speak through them.
A sangoma asks the individual and family many questions. The sangoma may also throw the bones. The ‘bones’ are often real bones of sacrificed animals. They can also be stones, shells, or other objects.
6 Best Inyanga in Gauteng